Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Racers to the Starting Line!!

The past week has kept me busy "catching" up on life, so I haven't had a real opportunity to sit down, collect my thoughts and write about the Disney Marathon.. So, here it goes!!

Drew and I went to bed Saturday night around 11:00 pm.. We had lots of race jitters and if you read my post from yesterday, you can imagine why!  Our alarm was set to go off at 2:30, which would get us showers, on the bus and to our corral in time... Little did we know, how early that would be or how tired we would be from the lack of sleep.

We woke up bright and early Sunday morning...  Drew took a nice video of me waking up, but I don't want to scare you, so I'll spare you with a picture after a shower.

 I need to back us up before I go any further.. Saturday, I had been using the bathroom pretty regular. About every 15-30 minutes for a while and then I wouldn't go at all. .I thought it was very odd, but I had been drinking a lot of water, so going to the bathroom a lot, was not out of the ordinary..

 Hydration is key the week before a Marathon and I had been doing just that.. Plus, on a normal day, I frequently use the bathroom..

The bathroom breaks continued into the middle of the day, but the frequency stopped by  evening time.. I didn't think too much about it, and then it started back up again later towards bed time, which I attributed to drinking a lot of water that evening.. We knew the weather was going to be in the 80's with high humidity.. Dehydration and fainting are very common during these kind of temperatures with long mileage. I wasn't willing to take that risk.. Or at least, I thought I wasn't..

Little did I realize when I woke up Sunday morning, I had a full blown Urinary Tract Infection. The longer runs I have done, have definitely impacted the frequency of these annoying little trips to the doctor for Anti-biotics.. I was feeling very defeated this morning.

I smiled for the camera and then said something mean to Drew.. I was very crabby ANGRY and was not happy about the situation I found myself in.. REALLY? Did you read about my feet? Rash? Viral infection? What in the world???

This has to be a BAD NIGHTMARE!

I went as Minnie Mouse..
 Glad I bought a bow and ditched the ears.. 
It was way to hot for them

Side note, I love that the put our Names on our Bibs! Spectators were yelling our names as we were running, it was so encouraging and AWESOME!

Disney totally knows how to do this Marathon thing... I went to the fridge, got my bagel, put peanut butter and honey on it.. Drank some water and headed out to the buses, despite being very crabby, angry and a nervous WRECK!

The lines at are our hotel were already starting and I could see that we made a good choice to get up earlier. You leave your hotel to get on a Disney Magical Express bus to head to Epcot where the race starts. You have to be lined up before 5 am or you won't make it to the race.

The bus was filled with spectators and runners alike.. People have different colors of KT tape all over the bodies, wires coming from their arms, crazy costumes ranging from tinker bells and the Chester Cat from Alison in Wonderland to puppies from 101 dalmatians . We saw all kinds of costumes and I thought, how are you people going to run 26.2 miles in that thing?? Some costumes looked so hot and the skirts looked itchy.. It made me squirmy and having a sensory overload thinking about what people were wearing.. 

We arrived at Epcot and had to walk for what seemed like forever.. It had to be at least a mile... Of course, I had to use the bathroom a gazillion times.. I used it at least a couple more times before the race.. I almost had a meltdown in the port-a-potty because of my recent UTI discovery, but I just walked back the corral where we were suppose to wait and asked Drew to pray over my body..

 At this point, we couldn't do anything... Nothing medically would have made this easier, better or even pleasant. The facts were..
Either run or don't ..

Nothing tangible was going to change my situation..

Drew prayed over my body. I felt a weight lifted off me and knew the race was in God's hands. I was going to run and if I had to get medical help at some point, then I would just have to do that, but I wasn't going to give up without a fighting chance..

 Drew and I were prepared about what this would mean for my body. Possible dehydration, which could lead to seizures, but I had not come this far to fail.. 

I had faith as small as a mustard seed, I had courage as faint as the wind, but I had not come to this point to watch my dream slip out of my hand.. I had to find whatever it was that was going to get me to the finish line..

Welcome to Part 1.. We will get to the race soon.. Every step in this journey has a story.. I want to remember this day and the steps I had to take, in order to complete it..  Thank you for being patient with me as I re-cap the best and hardest day of my life.


Britt said...

I can only imagine the frustration yet determination! I Would have done the same thing! I'm RUNNING!! You have put way too much money, emotions and time into this!

Sarah said...

Amen sister! I had to just do it.. If something happened, then it did.. It was do or die time.. Ya know?